Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Todd's Tuesday Tech Tip #13: What Should I Read Next?

Hello Colleagues,

Happy Tuesday!

Today's tip is partly for your students and partly for you.  It is a site called appropriately, What Should I Read Next?
Inline image 2

This website is super simple to navigate.  Simply type in the title of a book.  Click on the title that you are thinking of...patiently wait about 10 seconds and POW!

The site delivers 'read alike' titles that you might be interested in reading.  

























I tried this by putting in Beverly Cleary, my favorite children's author.  It then gave me a selection of her books to begin drilling down.  I chose The Mouse and the Motorcycle.  When I clicked on it, it gave me a huge list of books that are at a similar reading level and general topic.  This site works best with more confident readers.
















However a resource that seems to work better with the younger readers is Scholastic's Book Wizard.  It is also not perfect, but I think it does a decent job of meeting the needs of the younger reader.  

Here is a video of how to use Scholastic's Book Wizard.


So, how do you think these two tools could be helpful for you as a teacher and also just you as a reader?  I would love to hear your thoughts over on the T4 website.  

Thanks,
Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment