Tuesday, September 2, 2014

#2 Great Back To School Tips From Common Sense Media

Dear Colleagues,

This week my tip is less a tip and more talking points.  By now I hope you've had the chance to explore Common Sense Media's website.  If you haven't stop what you are doing and do it now!

This week they have an outstanding article entitled:  "18 Questions to Ask at Back to School Night."  As I read the questions, my mind spiraled from the diversity of my son's seventh grade expectations and that of my high school junior's.  Much of what happens in the classroom is reinforced with web based content and resources.  It is a given that the students will be proficient in navigating a myriad of online tools

Most of us either have a student of our own at home, or have nephews and nieces that we care an awful lot about.  This article is for all of us.  What I really like about it is that it is broken into several 'bite size' chunks.  For instance, it has questions based on:  "Have five, ten, fifteen minutes with the teacher..."  It also has some questions to ask an administrator if you have time to speak with them.

I'm a big believer in being prepared for all situations, it must be my Boy Scout training.  As you are preparing your Go To School Night presentations, you might want to take some of these questions into consideration.  If you end up with a question you don't feel ready to answer, feel free to send them to me!  These questions are great to take with you to your own child's "Back to School Night" too!

I hope that both the Common Sense Media site and this particular article are helpful for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment