Tuesday, September 23, 2014

#5 Todd's Tuesday Tech Tip: You Now Have a Scanner In Your Pocket/Bag

This week's Todd's Tuesday Tech Tip is an app review.  Some of you may not know that when Apple upgraded to Mavericks over a year ago, we lost support for desktop scanners.  That means our HP Scanner up in the RC will no longer work on the desktop iMacs.  Bummer right?  Well, maybe not.  


Last year I did a tip on how to scan and email from the Xerox machine.    That's pretty awesome, but did you know that you can scan and even fax from your phone or iPad?  You can.  For the past two years, I have used the free version of an outstanding app called Doc Scan.  


Now, before I go on, I have to tell you that there is a paid and a free version.  I've used the free version successfully and haven't needed the do-dads that are included in the paid version.  Just last week I received a purchase order that I had to sign and return to one of the library vendors.  I printed the document, signed it, scanned it with the app and attached it as a PDF in an email.


 Moments later, I got a confirmation email from the vendor and it was done.  I really like that the app will consolidate multiple scans into one PDF document.  


For a fee, you can even fax documents.  Is this as good as a desktop scanner?  Probably not on an iPhone, but from an iPad it beats it completely.  If you're like me, you are continually amazed at what that little computer in your pocket or bag can do for you.  I hope that you will give this app a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment